Monday, August 29, 2011

Exhausted and Elated

Exhausted from the travel, the journey took just over 24 hours from arriving at the Airport in Toronto to arriving at the Hotel Volgograd.  Twelve hours over two flights and an eight hour layover in Moscow.  Long journey but smooth travel.  The flights were fine, the layover spent at the Business Lounge with wifi and when I arrived T. was awaiting me at the airport ready to check me into the hotel so no complaints. 



Elated from our reunion this morning.  When they brought him out to me and I could see he had all his fingers and toes, was smiling a four toothed mishchievious ear to ear smile and reached for me, I let out that bit of breath that I have holding since we had parted.

The same caregiver with the same frosty pink lipstick and warm eyes handed him to me and smiled.  She bragged about how big and strong he has gotten and how he can stand on his own and starting to walk with some help.  I felt such relief and a heart full with graditute and appreciation for my little bundle of joy to be thriving.  We looked at each other and just like before he touched my face then went straight for my bushka necklace.  We played outside for our time together and he is clearly approaching toddlerhood.  Busy!  So curious and very very mobile.  It was soon clear that sitting on my lap in his sleepers on a bench was not going to be enough entertainment so T. asked the caregivers for shoes for him.  Those shoes were made for walking!  Baby that little bird wanted to go, go, go.  Drunken sailer would best describe his gait.  He took my hand and takes giant, wobbly steps but quickly and in different directions.  Sort of looked like when a newborn ponny is taking his first steps, not so graceful but pure magic.

On the afternoon visit we went inside so we could practice more walking without concrete underfoot.  I put on some music and Baby Bird really digs Michael Franti.  I was tearing up with laughter when he started shaking his little booty looking like the drunken soldier hit the dance floor.  Priceless, adorned in his stripey tights and white shorts, all toothy smile and wiggly bum. 

Then just when I wondered how does it get better then this moment he took his first few solo steps.  I have a witness and she counted.  Five or six wobbly but unassisted steps toward me.  I think the whole orphanage heard me clapping and cheering.  I like to think he waited to walk until he could walk to me.  One thing is for sure, my life from this point on is centered on chasing that little boy and I couldn't be happier about it!

Five days till court and I can share all the adorable pics of him but for now a few teasers and some of the Baby Home all aglow with sunshine.

Paka
xo

still loves that luggage tag

double fisted and ready to party

A for effort but still a wee wobly

excellent toy retreival abilities

sleepers drying in the sun



2 comments:

Joanna said...

He's getting sooo big! What a sweetie...can't wait for you and baby bird to fly your way home to us :-) xoxo

Naomi said...

It seems like yesterday that I was living your life exactly..how exciting! Can't wait until you are home with your little guy and we can meet in person! Enjoy every moment and remember to keep up your journal!